Friday, May 30, 2014

"Wine and Wayward Children"



Marjorie walks from the kitchen to the hall on her way to the living room as Toni walks through the door.
"Oh good you made it. Your father should be right back he stepped out to get a bottle of wine to have with dinner!"
"Hi Mother how are you?" She saunters toward her taking off her sunglasses and putting them in her purse as she walks. Her mother smiles kissing her on both cheeks then looks past her towards the door for her husband.
"Where's Jake I thought he'd be with you?" Toni rolls her eyes following behind her mother towards the living room stopping at the mirror to check her hair and lipstick.
"He sends his best something came up at work so he's having dinner with his parents. Besides with the mood he's been in lately it would probably be more pleasant without him" Marjorie smiles to herself thinking it definitely would when she saw who the dinner guest was. Toni walks into the room stops in her tracks staring at a brother she hadn't seen in three years.
"Wellington!" She says running to him and throwing her arms around him.
"I can't believe you're here!"
"Wow! It is really good to see you! Stunning as ever" He says kissing and hugging her.
"Thank you I designed it myself it's part of my new spring collection." She says turning in a circle then laughing.
"It's beautiful but I think all the things you create are beautiful." He says smiling at the expression of surprise on her face.
"You've seen my work?" Looking and sounding both pleased and excited she takes the seat opposite him on the sofa.
"Yeah this girl I was dating loved your clothes she dragged me to every boutique on the Upper West Side till she found a blouse you designed last spring."
"Girl has good taste" She nods in approval. Wellington rubs the back of his neck smiling sheepishly.
"That's why I never told her we were related. I figured I'd see where it went first before I let her start hawking you." He laughs.
"Thanks I appreciate that, really! I don't want to lose customers because of your wayward heart!" They all chuckle.
"Your sister made me the most beautiful outfit for church on Easter Sunday! I wish you had been there! I was the envy of every woman in church! You should have seen the look on Alex Stockton's face!" She laughs sounding thoroughly amused.
"She's maybe my mother in law but you're my Mom!" She giggles. Marjorie nods her head in agreement hoping her daughter would keep that attitude when she found out what was about to happen.
"I just finished designing a dress for Lesley something Jay is throwing." She says nonchalantly then catches the expression on his face and instantly regrets mentioning her name. Marjorie jumps in trying to relieve the sudden awkwardness that settle over the three. She looks out the window and see's her youngest daughter pull into the driveway then turns back to her other two children grinning from ear to ear.
"Shhh here comes your sister wait till she sees you!" Vicky trots up the steps slings open the door talking as she walks and pulling off the top of her scrubs down to the tank top underneath.
"Hey Mom! I'm home! What time is dinner I want to take a shower before Stephanie and Desi get here.." She prattles folding her top as she walks in the room then runs and jumps on her brother screaming his name in delight.
 "Welly! Oh my God!Oh my God! Oh my God! You're home! I've missed you so much!" She hugs him tight giggling the entire time. Wellington holds her close then pushes her away holding her by the shoulders and laughing.
" Look at you! All grown up! What happened to the little girl in pigtails and overall's that followed me everywhere?" They laugh.
"I traded them in for scrubs and a stethoscope!" Making them all laugh. "When did you get back?"
"About an hour or so ago."
"How long are you staying?" Wellington grins looking from Toni to Vicky.
"I'm home for good." Vicky squeals in delight hugging him again. As Toni looks on grinning on the outside hugging and welcoming her brother. Inside wondering what Wellington's being home really meant on all their lives and how would her husband and Jay take the news. Then again how did they take any news. She laughs to herself making her smile genuine.
"I'm going to run up stairs and take a shower don't go anywhere I'll be back in fifteen minutes!" Vicky says leaving the room and running up the steps.
"I'll be right here!" He shouts after her then turns to his mother.
"I don't know why but a part of me still thought she'd be that little girl I remembered" He laughs shaking his head and sitting on the sofa next to Toni.
"A lots changed since you left" The later says watching Wellington and her mother exchange glances.
"And a lots going to change too!" Edward's voice booms across the room as he enters carrying a bottle of wine and placing it on the coffee table. He walks to the sofa giving his daughter a kiss on the cheek.
" Hello Princes!"
"Hi Dad! You're looking like you just conquered the world" She looks from one to the other her suspicions aroused.
"What's going on why do you all look as if you just stole a pie from a windowsill?" Edward takes the chair next to Marjorie leaning forward his demeanor conspiratorial.
"Your brother and cousin are the ones that bought the old mill" He slaps his hands together rubbing them like a miser  looking as if he was about to burst with excitement. Toni glares at them then turns on her brother like a viper.
"You're the ones that bought the Mill?" She gasps looking from her brother to her father.
"And you helped him?"  Edward looks at her grinning proudly.
"Lets just say I didn't do anything to stop him! Heck I didn't even know it was them till your brother told us it was his company that bought it a little while ago. I thought I was just getting rid of the town eyesore!" He guffaws glancing around, her brother and mother laughing in agreement annoying her further.
"While you're all slapping each other on the back did you think about what going to happen when Jacob Stockton figures out what you've done? God! She groans rising and pacing the room.
"You peopel are unbelievably! Things have finally settled down and you blow back into town with this?" She groans and rolls her eyes.
"If all you're going to do is come home with drama then maybe you should have stayed..."
"Antonia!" Marjorie bellows shocking her daughter into silence her teeth drawn in to a snarl her voice tight.
"I know life has been really good for you living up on the hill as a Stockton. The rest of us, we don't have that luxury. What your brother, Preston and your cousin are doing isn't just good for this family  it's good for this town and if that makes Jay Stockton mad and your life in their mansion a little uncomfortable for a little while then so be it!" She shrugs "He can scratch his mad place and get glad! But don't you ever let me hear you take sides against your family again do you understand?" She finishes her piercing grey eyes boring through her.
"Jake is my family too Mother don't force me to choose"Toni glares back at her determined not to give her ground.
 "Jacob Stockton the third may not always be your husband but we will always be your family we're your blood don't you ever forget that!" She grinds out meeting her daughter defiance with her own.
Wellington stands unwilling to see his family become divided or say something they regret.
"Look you two I...we didn't come back to cause trouble." He starts and is immediately interrupted.
"Then why are you back?" Toni stares at him waiting for his response her eyes searching his expression for the truth in his answer. Wellington sighs heavily looking at his sister his expression honest his eyes pleading.
"I'm back because I love my family and I missed you. Believe it or not I love this town and I want to see it grow. What we're doing will bring jobs and prosperity to this community. If that makes some people angry I can't help that. But if this town is going to survive it has to diversify and look towards the future." He finishes hoping he was able to get through to her. Toni sighs backing down a little knowing by the look on his face and the tone of his  voice he was telling the truth and it still didn't make her happy.
"I believe you and I'm glad your home Welly, really I've missed you." She smiles "But my gut is telling me that all this, is a powder keg just waiting to go off. I just hope it doesn't all blow up in your face."


"Harbinger Falls" Copyright 2014
               

1 comment:

  1. You are doing an awesome job of introducing these familys. The stocktons in the first episode and now the swifts. You are giving us both sides of the coin on what seems to be family rivals. Going to be hard to pick a side as I like both familys already. You also give the show a great community feel. Harbinger Falls feeling like a real place which is cool.

    Awesome work so far! I am looking forward to seeing how this all unfolds and seeing how both interconnected families deal with the drama that is already starting.

    ReplyDelete